Wednesday, September 5, 2012

We are but dust.

He who grows in grace remembers that he is but dust, and he therefore does not expect his fellow Christians to be anything more. He overlooks ten thousand of their faults, because he knows his God overlooks twenty thousand in his own case. He does not expect perfection in the creature, and, therefore, he is not disappointed when he does not find it.      
- Charles Spurgeon

I probably don't understand the fullness of what Spurgeon said, but it seems that part of what he is saying is that we should understand each other's sinful state and not expect otherwise because that is the way of God. I am sure there is more to it, but this part stuck out for me because I struggle with wanting to have my expectations met. I am an elaborate thinker and it can work to my advantage and disadvantage. Moreover, it can work to other's advantage and disadvantage. I have grand ideas for many things, and that includes the way I view people. I somehow have convinced myself that people are great and wouldn't have great faults nor make great mistakes. Have I forgotten that we are all sinners and we all fall short? We were all such sinners that we needed a savior to rescue us. God did not expect us to rescue ourselves because he knew we were completely incapable. He does not expect perfection in the creature, and therefore, he is not disappointed when he does not find it. Even our heavenly Father does not expect it, then who am I to expect such things? Am I greater than my Father? A servant is not greater than his master. I am prideful to expect things that my Father does not even expect of us.

Not only am I unlike my Father in the way I expect, but also in the way I love. God did not love me because I met his standard of holiness; I guess because he didn't expect us to, due to the implausibility. God loved because He is love, that's just one of his communicable attributes. If I desire to imitate or conform to the image of God, I need to put away sin and put on love. These days, I am better understanding the effect of my sin on others, and this is one of them. If I am so preoccupied by looking intently at the few fault of others, I miss out on opportunities to display love, and loving for the right purpose. Should I not love because God first loved me? Should I not overlook ten thousand faults (as Spurgeon notes) because God first overlooked twenty thousand? I have set worldly and unbiblical standards in my head, and have allowed it to rule over me for too long. I am thankful that God has revealed to me that I have valued world view greater than God's word. He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray (Prov 5:23). I am again reminded that I must to be fervent in studying God's word. Hm I guess I had a lot to say about this...

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statues!
With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. 
Psalm 119:9-16

May my heart be like that of this psalmist, and may my actions follow thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment